Wednesday 8 February 2012

Piping gel tutorial & recipe

My first time using piping gel is on my friend's birthday cake 2 years back. It was expensive but the result was quite disappointing because the colour we had chosen was so light that it doesn't match the dark ganache.

Anyways, back to piping gel, one thing I'm pretty sure about piping gel is that it is easy to handle. So, I tried googling some useful piping gel recipe. To my surprise, they weren't that much. In fact, I only found one! Thanks to Cakes and More blog here at last I got to make myself a home-made piping gel! :D

Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup sugar( I have used a 1/4 measure and halved)-I use 2 tbs sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice ( I used a teaspoon or so as I felt the gel would be too sour)
1/4 cup water.

METHOD 
Mix sugar and corn flour in a small saucepan, gradually add juice then water. Stir over high heat until mixture boils then thickens. Colour as desired using liquid or powder
Dont take your eye off the ball whilst making it or it goes lumpy you have to stir it all the time. It keeps for weeks in the fridge  


As u can see, I took the recipe straight from the blog because it worked! The only thing I need to improve is knowing when to stop so that I will not over do it like I did. Hehe. And not only the recipe is easy, it's yummy too :)

4 comments:

Jαnnαhツ said...

ni kek ape wawa? red velvet ke?

Wawa said...

Haah jannah :-)

WendyinKK said...

Hmmm.... thanks for the link.
I never thought of making this at home. Plus, if one wants to make it tinted naturally, could just use pandan juice, beetroot juice, carrot juice or bunga telang tea to replace the water amount. This is great!

Wawa said...

That's a good idea! I should start learning to use natural ingredient to colour..too much coloring not just dangerous but costly too :( Thank u so much Wendy for the suggestion :)