Now, this recipe here is requested by yummy yum yum! I remembered the first time I baked rvc using butter and 1/2 cup of cocoa powder. It was good *according to my relatives* but I personally doesn't really see the point of making rvc when u can make it by making choc cake and pouring half bottle of red coloring instead.
So my journey of searching for the purrrrrrrrfect rvc began. I finally settled with this recipe by cake man raven. It is a Southern Red Velvet Cake. Very moist and the best part is, u don't have to run to the nearest store to buy ButterCup u can just use palm oil which I believe is available in every kitchen in Malaysia. Not only it's tasty, it's healthy! And the good side of using oil is that u don't have to worry about your cake. I will guarantee u that it will turn out beautifully!*Thank you cake man Raven! We owe u one!May God bless u!*
(I recommend you to measure dry ingredients first)
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (i use Nona brand but if u cant find it just substitute by using 2tbs corn flour and put over wheat flour until the measurement shows 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt (optional I often forgot to put it)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups oil (My mum often buy Seri Murni but she once bought Giant brand and it works just as well)
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional too. no sweat if u forgot to put it)
1. Preheat oven 180 C
2. Beat wet ingredients until well-mixed.
3. Fold in SIFTED dry ingredients (don't forget to sift after u measure!)
4. Pour onto greased baking tray.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes (test by poking a skewer and when it come out clean, then it's done!)
Tips and tricks:
1. If u dun have buttermilk, substitute by using 1 tbs vinegar and pour milk until it's 1 cup and leave for about ten minutes. If using this method, make sure u prepared it before u start doing anything.
2. When folding the dry ingredient, put the ingredient bit by bit maybe 5 tbs at a time. Don't beat!Fold, fold and fold using spatula.
3. You can grease by using oil
4. If u're using the normal round-shape baking tray, use two. But I strictly advice u to get one of those big square pan. Because u have to bake the batter right after u r done mixing it, or else, it will deflate and will not cook thoroughly.
5. Don't open the oven door and peek!again, it will deflate.
Cream cheese frosting
1cup of cream cheese (250g)
1/2 c unsalted butter
3/4 c icing sugar
Beat all ingredients until fluffy.
Tips and tricks:
Forget about the measurement! everytime ur putting in icing sugar, taste and if it is not sweat enough, add 1 tbs at a time until u get what u think as the purrrrfect cream cheese frosting!
To Yummy and Wani, post some to me once u r done! *just kidding*
By Yaya for her daddy's birthday. Salivating? Now do it!